Gilenya

In October 2010 I first learned that Gilenya had been approved by the FDA.  The first oral treatment for Multiple Sclerosis! So exciting – but I didn’t dare to really believe that I would be switched to it. I knew that insurance would never cover it as long as I was able to use interferon instead, and I had been using Rebif for awhile.

The following February I learned just how high my liver enzymes had gotten (7x the cutoff for normal across the board). My neurologist finally acknowledged that I had to stop taking the injections. It was shocking how freeing this was – the needles had always felt remarkably painful. Knowing that I didn’t have to take my shot when I went home made me want to celebrate. While the circumstances were less than ideal, I took the opportunity to switch from interferon to Gilenya.

I’ve written several additional posts about the process.

The Surprising Slowness Of Getting The Process Started
Pre-Approval Tests
The First Time Gilenya Contacts Me
Insurance First Declines And Then Approves The Claim
My First-Dose Experience
My First Month On Gilenya
Official And Unofficial Side Effects Of Gilenya
My Neurologist Approves My Continued Use Of Gilenya
Year One Of Gilenya
Latest Test Results On Gilenya

I will continue to add new Gilenya-related content to the list below as I learn more about Gilenya, its side effects, and its results. In the meantime, join us on Facebook and on the forums for discussion!